Closing date for applications: Friday 28th January 2022 (midday)
Interview Date: Friday 4th February 2022
- Fossgate – 22.5 hours per week
- Haxby – 30 hours per week
- Fulford, Broadway – 15 hours per week
Please clearly indicate which shop post you are applying for when completing your application (forms can be found at the bottom of this page, along with full candidate briefs).
We have a number of exciting opportunities for candidates with previous retail management experience or previous experience of working in the charity retail sector, to join our team. In these roles you will lead, motivate, train and support a team of volunteers. Understanding the need to deliver excellent customer service at the first point of contact is essential, as is the ability to deal with changing priorities at short notice, and experience of cash handling.
As Deputy Shop Manager, you will assist the Shop Manager in managing all shop activities, and together achieve set targets and maximise financial contribution for the Hospice.
These are key roles within the Hospice retail operation, contributing towards fundraising budgets. Stamina and a good sense of humour are paramount, together with a creative eye, excellent display skills and innovative ideas to boost shop takings.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To ensure that the shop is open for its set trading hours.
- On days when the Shop Manager is not present, to take responsibility for donated goods and ensure proper presentation and merchandising of these to their fullest potential, including:
- Pricing and ticketing.
- Regular rotation of stock.
- Security of all donated goods.
- To maximise income from the Gift Aid Scheme, ensuring it is operated to its full potential and within HMRC guidelines. This includes:
- Actively promoting the scheme via the shop and the shop team.
- Ensuring back room processes prioritise Gift Aided goods.
- Keeping the shop team informed and motivated about the scheme.
- To help ensure the highest standards of customer care and services both personally and via the shop volunteer team.
- To take responsibility for the delivery, security, accounting, merchandising and stock-taking of bought in (new) goods on days when the Shop Manager is not present.
- To work with the Shop Manager to look for and implement new development opportunities for the shop on an ongoing basis.
- Flexible approach to work as occasionally there may be a requirement to participate in trading outside normal shop hours e.g. shop event etc. or to cover the shop by exception if the manager is required to attend a meeting off site.
- Occasionally, you may be required to work from one of the other Hospice’s retail outlets located in York and the surrounding area.
- To take responsibility for the shop’s accounting procedures including cash reconciliation, daily banking and till procedures and ensure that correct transactions and cash handling procedures are adhered to at all times, and to report immediately any significant shortfalls to the Shop Manager.
- To be fully conversant with the use of the till in the shop and ensure the satisfactory completion of the daily till and banking procedures, both personally and through the shop team.
- To liaise with other Shop Managers to ensure resources are shared and used appropriately.
- To inform the Retail Manager or Retail Operations Manager immediately of any complaints, accidents or untoward occurrences in the shop. Ensuring they are correctly recorded on the Hospice Incident Management System (T100).
- To deal carefully and sensitively with unsuitable offers of help or donations.
- To maintain excellent communication and working relationships with local colleagues (paid and voluntary), and also with the Communications and Fundraising Teams based at the Hospice, working closely with the Community Fundraiser for your area (if applicable) on local activities.
- Provide information to the public regarding St Leonard’s Hospice and its work through advertising, participation and promotion of events, maintaining the Hospice brand, and in other ways as appropriate, both personally and through the shop team.
- To help maintain good levels of communication within the shop team.